We are looking for student farm-hands to join our operation this coming season! This is a rewarding outdoor job for high school or college students to gain work experience and learn about production agriculture focusing on horticulture. This position is dependent on receiving wage compensation through the Columbia Basin Trust’s Student Summer Works, Canada Summer Jobs and/or YESP employment programs. While we receive many applications each year, candidates will be selected based on grant program requirements with priority given to candidates with a career or education interest in agriculture.
Download Official Job Posting: Job Posting – Student Farm Hand
Tasks include but are not limited to:
- Production Work: Seeding, transplanting, weeding and crop care (irrigation, pruning, trellising, etc.) using tools, small equipment and by hand
- Harvest & Pack Shed Work: Harvesting efficiently, safely and consistently, rinsing, bunching and packaging products, cleaning and sanitizing harvest containers and tools
- Adhering to farm protocols and policies, which include food safety, farm safety, organic certification, and animal welfare standards
- Communicating with manager and supervisors daily regarding work needs
- Attending farmer’s markets when needed
- Other farm duties as required
- Must be enrolled in high school or college full-time
- Prior farm or general work experience is preferred but not required
- Physically fit; able to bend for long periods of time, lift items up to 20kg
- Strong work ethic and positive attitude throughout long days of physical, repetitive work in all weather conditions
- Able to take direction, learn quickly, ask for help and clarity as needed, and accept and act on constructive feedback
- Ability to work well in both a group setting and independently
- Takes initiative and pays attention to detail and quality
- Able to work in all weather conditions (rain, sun, or snow)
- Flexible; able to adapt to shifting priorities and conditions and help out where needed including extended hours and weekend/holiday work
- Reliable means of transport required
- Basic English language required
Reports to: Field Manager
Status: Hourly, overtime-exempt
Schedule: Seasonal full-time
High-school Student: Approximately 35-40 hours/week July to September
College Student: Approximately 35-40 hours/week May to September with possibility of extension/year-round work
Start date: Early July 2023 (High-school) or Early May (College)
Location: Krestova, BC (main), Tarrys & Shoreacres, BC (secondary)
Compensation: $15.65-$19/hour, in line with experience and qualifications
Benefits: Farm stand/market discount, produce seconds
Please email job package (cover letter and resume) to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Position title: Your Name” in subject. Include in your cover letter; your passion for agriculture, what you are hoping to learn/achieve and how you fit this position. Please include contact details for at least two professional references, (they will not be contacted without your permission).
If you are interested in other open positions, please submit one application and indicate interested positions in your email.
Applications will be reviewed as they’re received, so we encourage interested applicants to apply as soon as possible. Positions remain open until filled. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
While we invite all applications, only those selected for an interview may be contacted.