We are looking for a farm-hand responsible for attending and running our weekly markets in Nelson and Castlegar. This position will focus on delivering product to market, setting up the display, selling to customers and maintaining market supplies. The candidate should have experience in farming or food-handling and customer service and sales experience is an asset. This is a rewarding outdoor job to interact with and feed your community. While up to the candidate, this position may be part-time (markets only) or full-time with other work on the farm. This is a permanent, ongoing position; priority will be given to candidates who are interested in full-time employment as well as growing with our farm in the coming years.
Download Official Job Posting: Job Posting – Market Staff
Tasks include but are not limited to:
- Market Work: Transportation and display of products, customer service, point-of-sale system, maintaining market materials, record keeping, cash management
- Production Work: Seeding, transplanting, weeding and crop care (irrigation, pruning, trellising, etc.) using tools, small equipment and by hand
- Harvest & Pack Shed Work: Harvesting efficiently, safely and consistently, rinsing, bunching and packaging products, cleaning and sanitizing harvest containers and tools
- Adhering to farm protocols and policies, which include food safety, farm safety, organic certification, and animal welfare standards
- Communicating with manager and supervisors daily regarding work needs
- Attending farmer’s markets when needed
- Other farm duties as required
- 1+ years of experience in customer service or sales, food handling, or agriculture preferably in vegetable production
- Physically fit; able to stand and bend for long periods of time, lift items up to 20kg
- Strong work ethic and positive attitude throughout long days of physical, repetitive work in all weather conditions
- Able to take direction, learn quickly, ask for help and clarity as needed, and accept and act on constructive feedback
- Ability to work well in both a group setting and independently
- Takes initiative and pays attention to detail and quality
- Able to work in all weather conditions (rain, sun, or snow)
- Flexible; able to adapt to shifting priorities and conditions and help out where needed including extended hours and weekend/holiday work
- Valid class 5 driver’s license with clean driving records required (will be added to commercial vehicle insurance)
- Basic English language required
Reports to: Market Lead
Status: Hourly, overtime-exempt
Schedule: Seasonal full-time or seasonal part-time
Full-time: Approximately 35-45 hours/week May to November with possibility of extension/year-round work
Part-time: Approximately 20-30 hours/week May to November (2 x 8-10hr markets/week)
Start date: Early to mid May
Location: Krestova, BC (main), Nelson Wednesdays & Castlegar Saturdays (markets), Shoreacres, BC (secondary)
Compensation: $18.00-$22/hour, in line with experience and qualifications
Benefits: Farm stand/market discount, produce seconds, extended health benefits package (full-time)
Please email job package (cover letter and resume) to email@example.com with “Position title: Your Name” in subject. Include in your cover letter; your passion for agriculture, what you are hoping to learn/achieve and how you fit this position. Please include contact details for at least two professional references, (they will not be contacted without your permission).
If you are interested in other open positions, please submit one application and indicate interested positions in your email.
Applications will be reviewed as they’re received, so we encourage interested applicants to apply as soon as possible. Positions remain open until filled. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
While we invite all applications, only those selected for an interview may be contacted.