New Position! We have an opening on our crew for the new Market Garden Intern. We have opened this position to secure a candidate that would be interested in developing their skills with the intent to move into a management position within our operation. This is a rewarding outdoor job to learn about all aspects of farm management and production agriculture focusing on horticulture. This position will gain experience in field, greenhouse and office. The candidate will also qualify to take on the responsibility of a farm-hand lead role on the crew (orchard/nursery or harvest/post-harvest). This position will require a full-season (10-month) commitment by the candidate. This is a position for development; priority will be given to candidates who are interested growing with our farm in the coming years and willing to make a 2+ year commitment. This position is dependent on the acceptance of a grant from Columbia Basin Trust.
Download Official Job Posting: Job Posting – Market Garden Intern
Tasks include but are not limited to:
- Production Work: Seeding, transplanting, weeding and crop care (irrigation, pruning, trellising, etc.) using tools, small equipment and by hand
- Harvest & Pack Shed Work: Harvesting efficiently, safely and consistently, rinsing, bunching and packaging products, cleaning and sanitizing harvest containers and tools
- Administrative Work: Recordkeeping, scheduling and management
- Adhering to farm protocols and policies, which include food safety, farm safety, organic certification, and animal welfare standards
- Communicating with Production and other Managers daily regarding work needs
- Attending farmer’s markets when needed
- Other farm duties as required
- Prior organic vegetable experience is preferred but not required
- Physically fit; able to bend for long periods of time, lift items up to 20kg
- Strong work ethic and positive attitude throughout long days of physical, repetitive work in all weather conditions
- Able to take direction, learn quickly, ask for help and clarity as needed, and accept and act on constructive feedback
- Ability to work well in both a group setting and independently
- Takes initiative and pays attention to detail and quality
- Able to work in all weather conditions (rain, sun, or snow)
- Flexible; able to adapt to shifting priorities and conditions and help out where needed including extended hours and weekend/holiday work
- Valid class 5 driver’s license with clean driving records required (will be added to commercial vehicle insurance)
- Basic English language required
Reports to: Farm Manager, Field Manager, Greenhouse Manager
Status: Salary, bi-weekly payments
Schedule: Seasonal; approximately 35-45 hours/week
Start date: Early-March
Duration: 10 month internship with possibility of extension/year-round work
Location: Krestova, BC (main), Shoreacres, BC (secondary)
Compensation: $38,000 annual yearly salary in line with experience and qualifications
Benefits: Farm stand/market discount, produce seconds, extended healthcare package
Please email job package (cover letter and resume) to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Position title: Your Name” in subject. Include in your cover letter; your passion for agriculture, what you are hoping to learn/achieve and how you fit this position. Please include contact details for at least two professional references, (they will not be contacted without your permission).
If you are interested in other open positions, please submit one application and indicate interested positions in your email.
Applications will be reviewed as they’re received, so we encourage interested applicants to apply as soon as possible. Positions remain open until filled. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
While we invite all applications, only those selected for an interview may be contacted.