We are looking for a farm-hand responsible for nursery plant production and to establish our new small fruit production and education orchard. Our orchard contains blueberries, blackberries, haskaps, josta, fig, kiwi, grape, elderberry, raspberry, sour-cherry and strawberry. The candidate must have experience in organic production and/or fruit and berry production. Since this role is in its beginning phases on the farm, the majority of time will be spent working in vegetable production but the candidate will be responsible for the orchard and nursery-related activities when necessary. This is a rewarding outdoor job to learn new production practices and develop management skills. This orchard and nursery lead position is essential for production; the candidate must commit to a full season of employment.
Download Official Job Posting: LLF22 – Job Posting – O&N Lead
Tasks include but are not limited to:
- Availability on-demand in case of emergency situations
- Nursery and transplant production
- Small fruit/ berry orchard establishment
- Online order fufilments
- Sowing, planting, weeding and tending (irrigation, pruning, trellising, etc.) of crops using tools, small equipment and by hand
- Harvesting, cleaning, and bunching products
- Adhering to farm protocols and policies, which include food safety, farm safety and organic certification
- Communicating with managers regarding work needs to complete their responsible tasks
- Attending farmers markets when needed
- Other farm duties as required
- At least one season working on a farm, focusing on organic practices
- Ability to work fast and smart while taking direction with a positive and constructive attitude
- Ability to work well in both a group setting and independently
- Ability to commit to a flexible work schedule with possible extended hours and weekend work
- Strong prioritizing and time management skills
- Takes initiative and pays attention to detail and quality
- Physically fit, able to bend for long periods of time, lift items up to 20kg
- Ability to work in all weather conditions (rain, sun, or snow)
- Must have reliable means of transport; active class 5 drivers’ license
This position will lead to full-time work as the season progresses. Duration: April until October.
Work schedule: TBD, typically 40-50 hours/week with flexibility to permit weekend work as needed.
Potential days off: Saturdays, Sundays, Mondays
Compensation: $17.00-19.00/hour depending on experience. Access to farm vegetable seconds.
Please email your job package (cover letter and resume) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline to Apply: February 12th, 2022.
While we invite all applications, only those selected for an interview may be contacted.