We are looking for a farm-hand responsible for nursery plant production and to establish our new small fruit production and education orchard. Our orchard contains blueberries, blackberries, haskaps, josta, fig, kiwi, grape, elderberry, raspberry, sour-cherry and strawberry. The candidate must have experience in organic production and/or fruit and berry production. Since this role is in its beginning phases on the farm, we are offering this position as a full-time or part-time position. If candidate would like full-time employment, the majority of time will be spent working in vegetable production but the candidate will be responsible for the orchard and nursery-related activities when necessary. If the candidate would prefer part-time employment, the candidate will be responsible for their schedule to complete orchard and nursery-related activities and duties. This is a rewarding outdoor job to learn new production practices and develop management skills. This orchard and nursery lead position is essential for production; the candidate must commit to a full season of employment. This will become a permanent, ongoing position; priority will be given to candidates who are interested in full-time employment as well as growing with our farm in the coming years
Download Official Job Posting: Job Posting – O&N Lead
Tasks include but are not limited to:
- Production Work: Seeding, transplanting, weeding and crop care (irrigation, pruning, trellising, etc.) using tools, small equipment and by hand
- Harvest & Pack Shed Work: Harvesting efficiently, safely and consistently, rinsing, bunching and packaging products, cleaning and sanitizing harvest containers and tools
- Creation of plans and schedules as well as the development of SOPs for nursery and orchard tasks
- Adhering to farm protocols and policies, which include food safety, farm safety, organic certification, and animal welfare standards
- Communicating with manager and supervisors daily regarding work needs
- Attending farmer’s markets when needed
- Other farm duties as required
- 1+ years of experience in horticulture preferably in organic, nursery or orchard production
- Physically fit; able to bend for long periods of time, lift items up to 20kg
- Strong work ethic and positive attitude throughout long days of physical, repetitive work in all weather conditions
- Able to take direction, learn quickly, ask for help and clarity as needed, and accept and act on constructive feedback
- Ability to work well in both a group setting and independently
- Takes initiative and pays attention to detail and quality
- Able to work in all weather conditions (rain, sun, or snow)
- Flexible; able to adapt to shifting priorities and conditions and help out where needed including extended hours and weekend/holiday work
- Reliable means of transport required
- Basic English language required
Reports to: Farm Manager, Field Manager, Greenhouse Manager, Farm-hand Leads
Status: Hourly, overtime-exempt
Schedule: Seasonal full-time or seasonal part-time
Full-time: Approximately 35-45 hours/week May to November with possibility of extension/year-round work
Part-time: Approximately 16-32 hours/week May to November (8hr daily average)
Start date: Early to mid April 2023
Location: Krestova, BC (main), Tarrys & Shoreacres, BC (secondary)
Compensation: $18.00-$21/hour, in line with experience and qualifications
Benefits: Farm stand/market discount, produce seconds, extended health benefits package (full-time)
Please email job package (cover letter and resume) to email@example.com with “Position title: Your Name” in subject. Include in your cover letter; your passion for agriculture, what you are hoping to learn/achieve and how you fit this position. Please include contact details for at least two professional references, (they will not be contacted without your permission).
If you are interested in other open positions, please submit one application and indicate interested positions in your email.
Applications will be reviewed as they’re received, so we encourage interested applicants to apply as soon as possible. Positions remain open until filled. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
While we invite all applications, only those selected for an interview may be contacted.